VISA4UK Settled status in the UK


Visa4UK - Settled status in the UK

Apply online for a UK visa to visit friends, work in the UK, study or join a family member or partner already in the UK.

UK Immigration Five Tier Visa System - short information

How much is the cost - see table forms:

Information UK Visa fees

Use this tool to work out the cost of your UK visa application - online application - check how much is the cost of your visa UK by the Internet - Go to Home Office website:

Go to visa fees UK -check online

You can apply online for a:

  • certificate of entitlement to prove your right of abode in the UK
  • UK visa - to visit, work, study or join a family member or partner in the UK

You must be outside the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man.

Before you apply

Also check if you need to get a tuberculosis (TB) test.

First check what kind of visa to apply for and what documents you’ll need.

When you apply online you need to:

  • book an appointment at a visa application centre
  • pay the visa fee online (in most cases)
  • fill in the application form in English
  • print out your form
  • You can save your application form and finish it later.

Apply for UK visa

What service you use depends on the visa you’re applying for.

Apply for a tourist or short stay visa

You can apply using the new service for:

  • Standard Visitor visa
  • Marriage Visitor visa
  • Permitted Paid Engagement visa

Apply for all other visas

Apply on the Visa4UK service for all other visas, including study and work visas.

Create an account on Visa4UK to apply for the first time.

Sign in to Visa4UK to apply if you already have an account.

Certificate issued or a stamp marked (on the applicant's passport) by the immigration authorities of a country to indicate that the applicant's credentials have been verified and he or she has been granted permission to enter the country for a temporary stay within a specified period. This permission, however, is provisional and subject to the approval of the immigration officer at the entry point. The common types of visas include: Single entry visa: valid only for one visit. Multiple entry visa: allows any number of visits within its validity period. Business visa: for a short visit to conduct discussions, negotiations, and/or presentations, but not to take up employment. Tourist visa: allows freedom to move around the country and briefly cross its frontiers to another country and return. Residence visa: allows an extended stay but does not grant permission to take up employment. Work visa: gives the permission to stay and take up employment, for a specific job and only for a limited period. Called also work permit. Electronic visa: permission recorded in a computer instead of being issued as a certificate or stamp.
Check if you need a UK VISA

Check how long you’ll have to wait for a decision on your visa application if you applied from outside the UK.

If you applied to extend or switch a visa within the UK, check the individual visa guides to find out how long it will take.

Visa Procesing Times

Find out how to complain about UK Visas and Immigration and how we deal with complaints.

UK Visa complaints procedure


Welcome to Visa4UK

Welcome to the Visa4UK service, you can apply for a UK visa using this service if you’re an applicant who is not currently in the UK.

Register for an account using the 'Register an Account' button below to begin your application.

We are currently updating our online visa application service. You may be able to apply using our new service for visit visa applications if you are applying for a:

  • Standard Visitor Visa
  • Marriage Visitor Visa
  • 1 month Permitted Paid Engagements visa
standard visa UK

Standard Visitor Visa UK

You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you want to visit the UK:

  • for leisure, for example on holiday or to see your family and friends
  • for business, or to take part in sports or creative events
  • for another reason, for example to receive private medical treatment

Check if you need this visa if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

family visa UK

Family visas in the UK

Apply to join family living permanently in the UK. Check how long it takes, fees, what you can and can’t do with your visa. You can apply to extend your visa towards the end of your stay.

You don’t need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa to visit your family for up to 6 months, but you should check if you need a Standard Visitor visa.

Family visas in the UK-extended

work visa

Work visa UK

Paid and voluntary work visas:
(eg Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 5)

Check a job applicant’s biometric residence permit (BRP) to see if they have a right to work in the UK. Before you start You must have permission from the person who holds the BRP before you apply.

student visa UK

Tier 4 (General) student visa

Apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK if you're 16 or over - eligibility, extend or switch your visa, how much it costs and how long it takes

Short term student visas in the UK

You can apply for a Short-term study visa if:
you’re doing a short course of study in the UK you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland you meet the other eligibility requirements

work visa

UK visa sponsorship for employers

You might need a sponsor licence to employ someone from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland to work for you in the UK.

BRPs UK visa

Biometric residence permits (BRPs)

You’ll be asked to provide your fingerprints and photo (‘biometric information’) as part of your visa or immigration application.

What is a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)?

A BRP is a credit card sized card which shows a person’s status in the UK. It can be used as proof of right to work and / or study and to access public services. BRPs provide a more secure, streamlined and faster method for applicants, businness and other services.


Transit visas

In transit trough the UK: airside, landside or the common travel area


Settle in the UK

Get indefinite leave to remain, settle in the UK

ILR - Idenfinite Leave to Remain - Settlement status provide you compltle freedom from immigrations control and other problems, so settlement is otherwise known as Indefinite Leave to Remain ("ILR")

Sponsor visa - workers or students

Licences and certificates of sponsorship for employers and universities and colleges

Visa requirements map Visa requirements map

Visa requirements for British citizens are administrative entry restrictions by the authorities of other states placed on citizens of the United Kingdom. As of 1 January 2017, British citizens had visa-free or visa on arrival access to 173 countries and territories, ranking the British passport 4th in terms of travel freedom (tied with Austrian, Belgian, Dutch, French, Luxembourgish, Norwegian and Singaporean passports) according to the Henley visa restrictions index.
Additionally, the World Tourism Organization also published a report on 15 January 2016 ranking the British passport 1st in the world (tied with Denmark, Finland, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg and Singapore) in terms of travel freedom, with a mobility index of 160 (out of 215 with no visa weighted by 1, visa on arrival weighted by 0.7, eVisa by 0.5, and traditional visa weighted by 0). Visa requirements for other classes of British nationals such as British Nationals (Overseas), British Overseas Citizens, British Overseas Territories Citizens, British Protected Persons or British Subjects are different.

free muslim dating site
life in the uk test

Life in the UK test

You need to take the test as part of your application for British citizenship or settlement in the UK.


English language qualification
for citizenship and settling

You might need to prove your knowledge of the English language if you’re over 18 and applying for citizenship or to settle in the UK (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’).

Prove your knowledge of English language qualification for citizenship and settling

Find Visa Center

Visa application centres near you

Find the opening times, address and contact details for UK visa application centres near you.

Contact the international enquiry service if you have questions about applications made from outside the UK.

You can check for the latest changes to visa applications.






  • East Timor - apply through Indonesia
  • Ecuador
  • Egypt
  • El Salvador - apply at your nearest accessible visa application centre in the Americas
  • Equatorial Guinea - apply at your nearest accessible visa application centre
  • Eritrea - apply through Kenya
  • Estonia
  • Ethopia




  • Haiti - apply through the Dominican Republic
  • Honduras - apply at your nearest accessible visa application centre in the Americas
  • Hong Kong
  • Hungary












  • Western Sahara - apply through Morocco


  • Western Sahara - apply through Yemen


Brexit News: Settled Status - Visa4UK - Politics - Economy - Immigrants

the guardian newspaper settle status news

Brexit: EU citizens living in UK will have to join special ID register

Theresa May sets out policy paper that says 3m EU citizens resident in Britain must reapply for ‘settled status’ under new regime

All 3 million EU citizens resident in Britain will have to apply for inclusion on a “settled status” register if they want to stay in the country after Brexit under Home Office...

The Guardian
bbc UK settle status news

Theresa May sets out post-Brexit offer on EU citizens

Theresa May has said she wants EU citizens living in the UK to stay after Brexit as she announced plans designed to put their "anxiety to rest".

All EU nationals lawfully resident for at least five years will be able to apply for "settled status" and be able to bring over spouses and children.

independed settle status news

Brexit: EU citizens will have to join special register and could be given ID cards

Deadline to apply for ‘settled status’ is not yet known

Millions of EU nationals living in the UK will have to apply to a “settled status” register and might be given ID cards as part of new plans laid out by the Home Office.

The Independed
the sun settle status news

EU citizens can apply for “settled status” if they’ve lived here for five years, Prime Minister Theresa May confirmed

Theresa May said that EU citizens and their families can stay after we leave the EU

A “settled status” will grant EU nationals and their families, who have spent five years in the UK, the same rights as British citizens after Brexit. This includes equal rights on healthcare, education, benefits and pensions.

The Sun

Settled status and pre-settled status in the UK